Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
Practice under the clinical supervision of a physician. Accountable for providing a broad range of cardiovascular health care to outpatient and inpatient veterans in accordance with individual patient needs determined by standards of adult health care practice, hospital policy and procedures, and in collaboration with other members of the Cardiology health care team. This responsibility includes the utilization of specialized and advanced PA/ARNP skills and knowledge in patient health and illness assessment, direct care, preventive health, and education of patients and families.
Work Schedule: Monday ?,- Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3, g, of this part.).
- Education. The candidate must meet the following:(1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations;-AND-(2)A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Certification.(1)Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA. -OR-(2)Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
- English Language Proficiency. PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
- Independent in pacemaker and internal cardiac defibrillator evaluations and programming from the three major device manufacturers: Boston Scientific, Medtronic and St. Jude.
- Possess specialized and advanced PA/ARNP cardiac skills and knowledge in patient health and illness assessment, direct care, preventive health, and education of patients and families.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-8 Physician Assistant Qualification Standard.
Physical Requirements. Physical requirements for this position include moderate lifting (14-44 lbs.); light lifting (under 15 lbs.); straight pulling (.5 hour); reaching above shoulders; use of fingers, both hands required; walking (1 hour intermittently); standing (2 hours intermittently); ability to distinguish colors and shades of color; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable to 13" to 16"; hearing (aid permitted).?,Candidate selection will be required to complete a pre-employment physical
Attention: All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
All applicants are required to submit the following document types (s).
1. CV or Resume. (Required)
2. A completed Occupational Questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire. (Preferred)
3. VA Form 10-2850c - VA Form 10-2850C, Application for Associated Health Occupations (Available at http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850C-fill.pdf). This document must be signed and dated in order to be considered complete. (Preferred)
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc.You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents:You are encouraged to apply online.Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options.The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1938407.
NOTE:If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.