* Current EGD and Colonoscopy experience preferred;
* Work well in an interdisciplinary team with support staff and collaborates with other physicians and mentors mid-level providers;
* Safely prescribes treatments, interventions, and medications;
* As a clinical expert, assumes a leadership role in the development of policies, procedures, and standards at the program level;
* Initiates changes in practice at the program or organizational level based on current research findings;
* Documents accurately in the electronic medical records, perform administrative duties as assigned, and provides backup for the Medical Director Surgical Care;
* Display good judgement and technical proficiency for a wide range of procedures comprising standard General Surgery practice.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.,
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- ACLS and BLS Certification through the American Heart Association is required prior to employment.
Preferred Experience: Board certification or eligibility ingeneral surgery or other specialty that meets the needs of the VA Health Care System for this position.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Light lifting(under 15 lbs); Light carrying(under 15 lbs); Straight pulling(1 hr); Pulling hand over hand(1 hr); Pushing(1 hr); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking(10 hrs); Standing(10 hrs); Kneeling(1 hr); Repeated bending(2 hrs); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing(aid permitted); Able to use stethoscope or equivalent; Repetitive computer data entry; Emotional/mental stability; working closely with others.All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1871683.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.